Ufa timezone.

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Oct 9 05:42:40 UTC 1998

   Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:04:45 +0400
   From: QingLong <qinglong at Bolizm.ihep.su>

    Please add timezone for Ufa. It's just like Asia/Yekaterinburg
    timezone except that Ufa is located in EUROPE.

This is an interesting case, but the Theory file says that tz's
general rule here is:

	If all the clocks in a country's region have agreed since 1970,
		don't bother to include more than one location
		even if subregions' clocks disagreed before 1970.
		Otherwise these tables would become annoyingly large.

Shanks (1995) writes that Ufa disagreed with Yekaterinburg before
1924, but that doesn't make the 1970 cut.

If we modified the above rule to partition time zone regions by
continent as well as by country, then there would need to be other
entries besides Ufa.  For example, Kazakhstan extends into Europe, so
it'd need another entry.  Similarly for Egypt in Asia, and perhaps
even Moscow's time zone in Asia.  I don't see how these extra entries
would be useful for tz's intended purpose.