Functions add/diff/cmp for xtime

Clive D.W. Feather clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 11:56:10 UTC 1998

In message <E0zRMON-0005XF-00 at mail1.toronto.istar.net>, Canaglobe
International Inc. <mpereira at istar.ca> writes
>On the three simple arithmetix function proposed by Markus, Clive asked "If
>so simple why bother?"
>
>I would note that why should everyone always be forced to reinvent the
>wheel? What is simple to experts is complex to others. Users very much
>welcome "sample simple solutions" developed by expert. Common use of simple
>(standardized) solutions facilitates interoperability and reduces
>ambiguity.

There's a trade-off here. If the standard library is made too large, it
makes it more likely that things are implemented wrongly or just ignored
by the implementer. If the functionality is very simple, it isn't really
worth including it.

--
Clive D.W. Feather   | Regulation Officer, LINX | Work: <clive at linx.org>
Tel: +44 1733 705000 | (on secondment from      | Home: <cdwf at i.am>