Proposal for new ISO C 9x time API

D. J. Bernstein djb at cr.yp.to
Sat Oct 10 15:55:16 UTC 1998

Bradley White writes:
> NTP on an "Olson-right" system, with the addition of a single time2posix()
> call, sails smoothly through a leap second

Yup. The same is true of sntpclock, my libtai-based SNTP client, with no
code changes. See http://pobox.com/~djb/clockspeed.html.

> by ignoring the leap warning indicator and all its convoluted logic.

If you want to use NTP _during_ a leap second then you have to pay
attention to the indicator. sntpclock does this, though I haven't had a
chance to test the code.

Of course, there's a good chance that the server has been screwed up by
xntpd, so it's better to run on autopilot for a while.

---Dan
1000 recipients, 28.8 modem, 10 seconds. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/mini.html