US vs. European Date Notation

Paul Hill phill at myriad.com
Fri Jun 4 14:25:28 UTC 1999

Markus Kuhn wrote:
> I didn't like the resulting
> article much.

I can't say I liked it much either, but I think your conclusions are
incorrect.

> Mr. Auerbach presented dd.mm.yy as THE international
> standard format and yyyy-mm-dd as something only pushed by "a small but
> influential band of global order-makers" [...]
> In general, the article has a clear tendency
> to make fun of international standardization

I thought it pushes for the older pre-ISO-8601 euro-standard of
dd.mm.yy.

I count the following:
15 YESes for dd.mm.[yy]yy, including the opening 2 opinions.

This included:
-- a banker at Merril Lynch -- what could be more All-American(TM)?

-- several militarists -- including the DoD itself, and several retired
militarist (can we guess these guys aren't sitting around at a
veteran's hall, but maybe members of the industrial-military complex.

-- a historian -- what could be more American than a historian at
Plymouth Rock!
-- and several other business folks,
-- plus an Englishman (we can ignore him :-)
-- and some other computer guy; all backed-up by American usage