storing timestamp data

Lee Geoff Geoff.Lee at TheAA.com
Wed Mar 31 13:45:43 UTC 1999

Maiden email from a new subscriber.

My interest is less in the intricacies of a complete world view of time zone
settings and more in best practice for the storage of timestamp data in
computer systems. I'm interested in storing date/time data in Ingres
databases which are running on Unix servers. We are recording timed events
on Unix servers as well as Windows 3.1 and NT PCs.  I have had problems with
the apparent miss-handling of data when viewed before or after a DST
transition. Can anyone point me at words of wisdom or good advice?

Geoff Lee