POSIX-TZ without rules

Guy Harris guy at netapp.com
Thu May 6 21:32:45 UTC 1999

> Both solutions are suboptimal.  The first mishandles old dates; the
> second assumes the New York City DST rules, whereas it'd be better to
> assume only the US rules.  But clearly something should be done to the
> tz code to fix the problem, and either solution is acceptable.

Unfortunately, the optimal solution is to load the rules from a file,
which we already do, but that doesn't work if the database is
uninstalled.

My inclination is to say "the optimal solution depends on the database
being installed; if we can't even find 'posixrules', use some
possibly-wrong hardcoded rules".