FW: Australian Timezone issues.

Alex LIVINGSTON alex at agsm.edu.au
Tue May 11 01:06:20 UTC 1999

At 02:38 +1000 1999-05-11, Olson, Arthur David (NCI) wrote:
>Note that Chris is not on the time zone mailing list; be sure that any replies
>are directed to Chris.
>
>				--ado

This is only part of the problem. "EST" ("Eastern Standard Time") is used
whether daylight saving is in effect or not, and since not all the
applicable region observes daylight saving, EST can mean two different
things *at the same time*. In New South Wales, at least, it is even
enshrined in law that references to "standard time" be construed
differently depending on whether summer time is on force or not! See:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/sta1987137/s10.html

On the other hand, I thought the tz database did not attempt to specify
unique time-zone abbreviations. (If only all time references would be
qualified simply by a UT offset!)

Alex LIVINGSTON
Macintosh and Lotus Notes Support / Information Technology (IT)
Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM)
The University of New South Wales (UNSW) / [Sydney]  NSW  2052 / AUSTRALIA

E-mail   : alex at agsm.edu.au; cit at agsm.edu.au (IT)
Facsimile: +61 2 9931-9349 / Telephone: +61 2 9931-9264
Time     : UTC+11---[last Mar. Sun.---UTC+10---[last Oct. Sun.---UTC+11---