FW: Update on Australian Time Zone changes for Olympics

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Tue Aug 15 08:20:16 UTC 2000

    Date:        Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:02:01 +1000
    From:        Alex LIVINGSTON <alex at agsm.edu.au>

  | 1. South Australia, if it does stick to its habit of the last several
  | years (and there is renewed debate about that, I heard this morning),
  | will start daylight saving on the last Sunday of October, and not
  | September 29.

I suspect "September" was a typo (by someone) - Sep 29 is a Friday,
Oct 29 is a Sunday...

  | 3: Tweed Heads is contiguous with Coolangatta in Queensland, which is
  | at the southern end of the (City of?) Gold Coast. There is a suburban
  | street that runs along the border between NSW and Queensland with
  | (residential) houses on both sides of it. The runway of Coolangatta
  | airport also extends into NSW. Tweed Heads is also in the same local
  | telephone area as the Gold Coast.

I recall when I was in that area in summer (some time ago now), that Tweed
Heads was running on Summer time, and Coolangatta was running Standard time.
It is not unusual to be able to stand with one foot in each of two different
timezones, though it is a bit unusual to be able to do so in the middle of
a municipal shopping centre (it is more than houses on each side of that
street - which has the border running through the median strip).

However, what time the Twin Towns Services Club (which probably gets more
custom from Qld than NSW) chooses to do with its clocks is its business,
though its alcohol licence terms will doubtless follow NSW times...

(Aside: it would make much more sense for SE Qld to follow NSW, than for
northern NSW to follow Qld in these issues - Summer time would be ideal for
SE Qld - it is so far east, and not so far north, that it really is almost
the ideal place to use summer time).

kre