Asia/Dacca Spelling

Olson, Arthur David (NCI) olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Mon Dec 4 19:04:24 UTC 2000

> The following was reported by Steve Minkin regarding the current time zone
> Asia/Dacca. Please note that Steve is not on this distribution list.
Should
> the spelling for this time zone be changed? Should an alias be defined?

> "Please note that about 10 years ago the spelling of the capital of
> bangladesh changed from Dacca to Dhaka. No one uses Dacca any more."

A search at www.un.org yields 30 hits on Dhaka and one on Dacca.

The page http://www.xrefer.com/entry/501998, attributed to "The Macmillan
Encyclopedia 2001, © Market House Books Ltd 2000," contains: "Dhaka (name
until 1982: Dacca)."

So...my sense is that the thing to change "Zone Asia/Dacca" to "Zone
Asia/Dhaka" and add a
"Link Asia/Dhaka Asia/Dacca" to the "backward" file.

				--ado