What's in a name?

Oscar van Vlijmen o.van.vlijmen at tip.nl
Tue Feb 8 11:57:31 UTC 2000

About the naming of the TZ timezone database.

Let's not forget the main issue.
The program and data files themselves should not be renamed.
Computer programs could have dependencies by name and computer users are
accustomed to certain commands, command-line parameters etcetera.

The main issue was: more visible webpresentation.
ADO asked Jan. 11 if it wouldn't be useful to merge the tzcode & tzdata.
I replied Jan. 11 with amongst other suggestions:
"An even more useful suggestion would be to place the WWW.htm file in the
directory ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/
Why don't you advocate your/our work through a web page? Submit this page
to several search engines, I would suggest."

The fist step has been made; cf.: http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

Let's think now about even more impact on the web.
Finding a catchy or unique name of the stuff is only a small part of this
undertaking.

Oscar van Vlijmen
2000-02-08