TZ web page: not effortless

Steffen Thorsen straen at thorsen.priv.no
Fri Feb 11 23:53:18 UTC 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Oscar van Vlijmen wrote:

> Following the thought given by Paul Eggert (Feb. 10):
> "But is it worth our time to do, given that we'd be duplicating other
> people's efforts?"
>
> I would like to add:
>
> Looking around, for instance at:
[...]
> http://www.timeanddate.com/ - update: tzdata2000a ?
>
> it can be noticed that it appears very difficult to maintain an up to date
> timezone converter.
> At the moment Steffen Thorsen of timeanddate.com spends between 5 and 10
> hours weekly maintaining and evolving his site, which is in existence since
> 1995 (source: http://www.timeanddate.com/steffen/).
> Very impressive, but for how long from now? Keep in mind that the Olson
> effort (tzcode & tzdata) exists since 1986.

Now I think it is time for me to clarify a few things:

http://www.timeanddate.com/ is based on data from tzdata2000a at the
moment, yes. Generally, when tzdata is changed, the site will reflect
these changes within a few days, I'll try to update the site as fast as
possible, but sometimes I may not read mail for a few days (or weeks
during my holiday), and then an update may be delayed.

In addition to updates of tzdata, I try to update the data myself,
whenever I get any reliable reports that anything is wrong, either from
this mailinglist or my users, and sometimes I discover errors on my own as
well. I also try to inform this list of any needed changes in tzdata.

I've been running the World Clock since 1995, and I hope to continue doing
so for many years, although nothing could be guaranteed.

Best regards,
Steffen

--
Steffen Thorsen <steffen at thorsen.priv.no>