DST in Sudan?

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Feb 23 00:37:31 UTC 2000

   Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:00:13 +0100 (CET)
   From: Steffen Thorsen <straen at thorsen.priv.no>

   Apparently, Sudan started using DST on January 15th.
   I was informed of this by Michael De Beukelaer-Dossche
   <michaeldbd at yahoo.com> which is in Khartoum at the moment.

Thanks very much for this info; I'll include it in the next proposed
patch to the public-domain tz data.

   Sudan is not exactly over-exposed when it comes to Internet web sites,

That's an understatement.  As far as I can tell, Sudan has zero
accessible web sites right now.  Two domains are registered under .sd
(gnpoc.com.sd and sudatel.net.sd), but neither is reachable from Los
Angeles right now -- requests to those domains get into a routing loop
when they hit Abu Dhabi.

I checked archives of Africa News Online and the Johannesburg Daily
Mail & Guardian for news about the time zone change, but came up empty.
For lack of better information, I'll assume that the transition
occurred at 00:00 local time on January 15, and that it's a permanent
switch to UTC+3 (EAT).