merge tzcode and tzdata?

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jan 11 17:26:58 UTC 2000

<<On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:16:04 -0500, "Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov> said:

> A few years back we separated the time zone distribution into two parts,
> "tzcode" and "tzdata",
> with the thought that tzcode might be relatively stable. At the end of 1999,
> though, we're at
> tzcode1999i.tar.gz and tzdata1999j.tar.gz; so much for relative stability.

Speaking with my operating-system vendor hat on, I think it's somewhat
easier to deal with separate distributions.  In particular, it's much
easier to express the notion of ``the timezone database is version
1999f but the code is version 1998a'', which (for varying values of
1999f and 1998a) better reflects the true state of affairs in several
operating systems.  While the official tzcode distribution may have
been updated often, operating system vendors are generally reluctant
to update a core system library (libc) so frequently.  This is
particularly the case when a substantial merging and testing effort
would be required to perform the update.

-GAWollman