week starts at Sunday or Monday?? Definitive Answer Now Available

Infoman Inc. mpereira at istar.ca
Thu Nov 2 04:54:01 UTC 2000

The week starts on Monday. See "Table 2 - Calendar days" in ISO/FDIS 8601
Data elements and interchange formats -- Information
interchange --Representation of dates and times" (see soft copy attached).

The ISO 8601 standard is being revised. The revised version  will replace
the 1988 version currently in use.

ISO 8601 is the responsibility of  ISO TC 154 "Processes, data elements and
documents in commerce, industry and administration". The chair of this  ISO
TC154 is François Vuilleumier, who the "cc" on this e-mail.

However, should you have comments,critiques, suggestions with respect to the
contents of ISO/FDIS 8601, the appropriate channel for such comments is via
your national standards body and, within it, the entity responsible for
participation in ISO TC154.

Those of you on the "tz at elsie..." mailing list who are "Canadians" or
represent Canada-based organizations, can sent your comments to me and I
will ensure that such inputs are brought forward within our Canadian
Advisory Committee(CAC) for ISO TC154.

I also note that ISO 8601 has a clearly defined and focussed scope. A
wider,more expansive standard pertaining to "time" is being developed by ISO
TC 211 Geographic information.  It is CD "ISO 19108 Geographic
information -- Temporal Schema". You can obtain a copy of this document from
your national standards body. CD ISO 19108 refers to ISO 8601 as a
"Normative Reference".

I trust that this information is helpful.

regards - Jake Knoppers  e-mail: < mpereira at istar.ca >