week starts at Sunday or Monday??

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Wed Oct 4 15:25:59 UTC 2000

Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth Clive D.W. Feather on Wed, Oct 04, 2000:
> > Vadim Vygonets said:
> > > In Hebrew, week days don't have names (except Sabbath).  They're
> > > just numbered, so "First day of the week" means Sunday, no other
> > > interpretation possible.  Now, these are Jewish weeks; it does
> > > not answer the question whether Christian weeks start on Sunday
> > > or Monday.
> >
> > It does as far as I'm concerned.
>
> How?  Christian culture did not exist yet,

Hmmm... Historians disagree upon knowing if the Bible texts were written
prior or after the establishement of the first Christian communities.

> > > Remember that when the New Testament was written
> > > Christianity did not exist as we know it,

That's for sure! The father of my grand'father, which died in 1956,
would have been very surprised to see the Christianity as it exist
in these post-1968 years!

> > > and Julian calendar was not invented yet (let alone Gregorian).
> >
> > Caius Julius Caesar would have been surprised to hear that.
>
> Boom.  I erred again.  My only hope is that Mr. Caesar doesn't
> read this list.

His name was Mr. Julius (or more properly Julia, as family name are
invariant in English).

> But it was before Christians adopted Julian calendar.

And when did they?

> I always wondered which culture invented the concept of seven-day weeks.

Because we do not have twenty-nine fingers.

On the same subject, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> The Greek week names Monday through Thursday [...] contain the plain
> words 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, respectively.

The same holds for Portuguese: Monday is "2a-feiria".

Antoine