Update on Australian Time Zone changes for Olympics

Paul Hill phill at myriad.com
Sat Sep 2 19:47:27 UTC 2000

In case anyone was thrown off by the information at holidayfestival.com
related to some of the recent timezone issues in Australia,  Brian
Prescott-Decie owner of the site reported to me:

>Dear Paul,
>
>My data comes entirely from tzdata so either I've missed something when
>setting up the software that handles this, or else my data file is out of
>date. I'll check. Anyway, as stated on the site, our info should not be
>regarded as a primary source. The reader is referred back to tzdata!
>
>Regards,
>
>Brian

Which was in part a response to:

>Paul Hill wrote:
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>[...]
> Do you have any thoughts on what is going on Australia w/ regard to TZs?

This was initiated be Alex Livingston's comments a few weeks back
on a discrepancy between The World Holiday site and tzdata.

> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:02:01 +1000
>
> 2. the Worldwide Holiday & Festival Site,
> http://www.holidayfestival.com/, seems to believe that Broken Hill
> (or the shire that contains it, which I can't remember the name of
> right now) will be starting daylight saving with the rest of NSW.
> This I do not believe: it would make it an island of UT+10:30 with
> UT+09:30 to its west and UT+11:00 to its east. Does this reflect the
> current tzdata? If so it needs to be corrected. It would be
> extraordinary in the extreme for Broken Hill not to stick on the same
> time as South Australia, as it has done for I don't know how long.
[...]

Hope that helps,
-Paul