Kentucky county switching time zones

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at Prodigy.net.mx
Mon Sep 4 05:38:54 UTC 2000

Funny, I did not know of any exceptions in Nevada, that is also new to me. The exceptions in Indiana (for instance Gary, Evansville and Hammond) are well know to the tz database. The changes in Kansas and Nevada are mentioned below.

I have found some interesting information on ISBISTERs page http://www.worldtimeserver.com which I think deserves to be mentioned on
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm by the way (e.g. a link to that page). ISBISTER claims that there are parts of several states that have different timezone information than the default for the state, basically they are:

1. Florida far west on GMT-6.0 with DST (e.g. city Pensacola), in contrast to the rest of Florida which is on GMT-5.0 with DST.
2. Idaho North on either GMT-8.0 with DST or GMT-7.0 without DST, in contrast to Idaho South on GMT-7.0 with DST.
3. Kansas Western on either GMT-7.0 with DST or on GMT-6.0 without DST, in contrast to Kansas Eastern on GMT-6.0 with DST.
4. Michigan Western on either GMT-6.0 with DST or on GMT-5.0 without DST, in contrast to the rest of Michigan (East & South) on GMT-5.0 with DST.
5. Nebraska Western on either GMT-7.0 with DST or on GMT-6.0 without DST (for instance represented by Scottsbluff), in contrast to Nebraska Eastern on GMT-6.0 with DST.
6. North Dakota (South West area) on either GMT-7.0 with DST or on GMT-6.0 without DST, in contrast to North Dakota (North East area) on GMT-6.0 with DST.
7. Oregon East (small area) on either GMT-7.0 with DST or GMT-6.0 without DST, in contrast to the Oregon West area of GMT-8.0 with DST.
8. South Dakota (Western area) on either GMT-7.0 with DST or GMT-6.0 without DST (represented by Rapid City) in contrast to South Dakota (Eastern area) on GMT-6.0 with DST.
9. Tennessee Western on either GMT-6.0 with DST or GMT-5.0 without DST (e.g. Nashville), in contrast to Tennessee Eastern on GMT-5.0 with DST (Knoxville)
10.Texas West on either GMT-7.0 with DST or GMT-6.0 without DST (El Paso), in contrast to Texas East on GMT-6.0 with DST.

The interesting about this is also that each region is shown on a little map so you will get a clear idea which part of a state the rule is covering.

I don't know if this is authoritative, but it sure looks worth an investigation. If I understand it correctly, tz database is mostly documenting entries without DST as exceptions, not exceptions which cover different GMT offset with DST within a specific state.

Just for the record, this is how I interpret the above towards a list of regions based on states:

GMT-8.0 with DST:
California, Idaho North, Nevada, Oregon West, Washington.

GMT-7.0 with DST:
Colorado, Idaho South, Montana, Nebraska West (Scottsbluff), New Mexico, North Dakota (South West area), Oregon East, South Dakota (Western part, e.g. Rapid City), Texas West (El Paso), Utah, Wyoming.

GMT-7.0 without DST:
Arizona.

GMT-6.0 with DST:
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida West (Pensacola), Illinois, Indiana (Evansville), Iowa, Kansas West, Kentucky West, Louisiana, Michigan West, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska East, North Dakota (Eastern region), Oklahoma, South Dakota (Eastern region), Tennessee West (Nashville), Texas East, Wisconsin.

GMT-5.0 with DST:
Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida East, Georgia, Kentucky East, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan East, New Hampshire,
New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee East (Knoxville), Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

GMT-5.0 without DST:
Indiana (Indianapolis).