(Cyprus), Nicosia is in Europe not Asia.

Paul Hill phill at myriad.com
Tue Sep 12 23:41:59 UTC 2000

David Keegel wrote:

> ] > > For some reason Nicosia has been listed as being in Asia and not in
> ] > > Europe. Can this please be changed?
> ]
> ] I personally don't care whether Cyprus is considered part of Asia or part of
> ] Europe.  However, it might be considered a politically sensitive question,
> ] since control of the island is currently split between Turkish Cypriots and
> ] Greek Cypriots.  Therefore, I think the tz archive should follow standard
> ] geographical practice.
> ]
>
> Let me add another one.
> The United Nations' Statistical Division lists Cyprus as being part
> of Western Asia (like Turkey), not Southern Europe (like Greece).
> Reference: http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/methods/m49regin.htm

Okay, fair enough.  Cyprus is the most western island of Asia and not
part of Europe in 'standard' terminology.

But I believe the tzdata actually redundantly lists some entries.
If I recall, the US territories in the Pacific (Guam?, American Samoa?) are
listed in two files but with the same IDs.

Am I wrong, or was this an old, temporary or non-standard habit that
is no longer used?

If there are redundant entries for those Pacific islands which are supported,
maybe some islands 'south east' of Europe and 'west' of Asia could be treated
the same way and be listed twice.

Possibly this technique causes other complications.

Anyone have any thoughts?

-Paul

--
Myriad Genetics: http://www.myriad.com/