Population counters

Paul Hill phill at myriad.com
Tue Sep 19 16:41:57 UTC 2000

> UN list of capital cities and cities of 100,000 inhabitants and more
> http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/demog/ctry.htm

FWIW, in the discussion of hierarchies, be they deep, wide, flawed, political
or not really hierarchical, I note that the above site has lots more regions
(first level of the hierarchy) than the tzdata.

This is only something for future reference, maybe if anyone in the future
was to 'reform' the organization of the data.  I am NOT suggesting
anyone do that.

More top level grouping helps to midigate the problem of too many entries
in any one set. It also provides a workaround for some islands, ie. the Caribbean,
but still lists Cyprus in Western Asia.

-Paul

--
Myriad Genetics: http://www.myriad.com/