Alternative place names?

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 27 17:04:08 UTC 2000

<<On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:55:17 +0200, Oscar van Vlijmen <o.van.vlijmen at tip.nl> said:

> I am NOT proposing to change the Theory rules, but I wonder: population
> count, popularity, media exposure all change, a capital hardly or not. A
> capital is or should be known to everybody. Haven't we all had some kind of
> geography lessons, years or decades ago?

Many time-zone regions do not have a `capital' of any sort.  To give
just one example, the time zone `America/Los_Angeles' has three
`capitals': Sacramento, Salem, and Olympia.  None of these are obvious
choices.  `America/Chicago' has even more possibilities.  In both
cases, choosing the largest city resolves the ambiguity.  (Of course,
neither one is particularly ``natural'' -- the legal names are
``Pacific'' and ``Central'', respectively.)

-GAWollman