How to Upgrade tzdata and tzcode into a unix server

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Apr 11 23:46:21 UTC 2001

> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:56:31 +0200
> From: francois reygagne <freygagne at opteway.com>

> I would like to make my server know that a new release of
> tzdata/tzcode is available and make it load the new tzdata release
> and override the previous.

One way would be to have your system subscribe itself to the tz
mailing list, and then poll the FTP site every time it gets email from
anyone whose email address matches the regular expression
'^olson at .*nci\.nih\.gov$'.  You can probably use 'procmail' to do that.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do it completely automatically and
unconditionally, though, as there may be bugs in the official
distribution.