List of time zones compliant both for Linux, Solaris 5.8, OSF1 Tru64, HP-UX

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Apr 13 19:48:21 UTC 2001

> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:48:19 -0700
> From: francois reygagne <freygagne at opteway.com>
>
> I'm wondering if it could be possible to use the OLSON data and code
> instead the specific target OS stuff.

Yes, that should work.

All the systems that you mention should read the Olson data files
as-is; you shouldn't need to link any of the tz code.  That's
certainly true for Solaris and GNU/Linux (it works for me).  I've been
told that it works for HP-UX, and from what you write it works for
Tru64 (which is news to me; I should add Tru64 to the list of systems
in tz-link).

To use an Olson data file, set TZ to its fully qualified name.
E.g. TZ='/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Australia/Broken_Hill' works
on Solaris 8.

> HP-UX
> # @(#) $Revision: 80.4.1.6 $
>
> # Mitteleuropaeische Zeit, Mitteleuropaeische Sommerzeit
> MEZ-1MESZ
> 0 3 25-31 3  1983-2038 0   MESZ-2

This is using the old TZ format, but I think HP-UX also supports the
Olson format too.  Sorry, I don't know the details.