Updated Australian time zone names/strings

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Apr 17 08:58:35 UTC 2001

> From: "Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:27:19 -0400
>
> A possibility would be to add lines such as
> 	Zone	Australia/CST	9:30	Aus	CST
> 	Zone	Australia/ACST	9:30	Aus	ACST
> 	Zone	Australia/CXT	9:30	Aus	CST/CDT
> 	Zone	Australia/ACXT	9:30	Aus	ACST/ACDT
> to the "australasia" file; this would let folks who wanted specific
> abbreviations to get them.

I can see two arguments against this approach:

* It won't work in general, as you'll need separate Zones for each
  Australian state, even states that all use "CST", as the states
  often have differing rules for the DST transitions.

* It opens the floodgates to everyone else who wants alternative
  abbreviations for a region (e.g. the French Canadians).

Here's another possibility: add a TZ extension that would let users
substitute their own abbreviations.  E.g. one might write something
like TZ='Australia/Sydney:AEST/AEDT' if one prefers AEST/AEDT.  This
would also support non-English locales (e.g. the French Canadians).

There is the problem of specifying abbreviations for offsets other
than latest standard- and daylight-saving-time, but I suppose we could
specify a more-general syntax that would attack that problem too.