FW: time zone browsing tools

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Thu Apr 19 23:13:03 UTC 2001

> From: "Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:44:04 -0400
>
> I don't see any tools that use the latitude/longitude info
> in the zone.tab file.  Surely after putting all the effort to gather
> the info, someone has something to use it.  What am I missing?

I vaguely recall that the Red Hat preferences setup uses it (along
with a little map), but I don't have a handy pointer to the source code.
If you find one can you please email me a pointer to it?  That would
be a nice thing to put into our web page.  Thanks.

> I'm also looking for a tool to use the historical data.  tzconvert.cgi
> is very nice, but it suffers from the Unix epochal restrictions and
> doesn't work before 1970 or after about 2037.

Surely this is a property of your Unix rather than of tzconvert.cgi
itself.  However, I don't think the Olson code works well yet on hosts
with 64-bit time_t.  (I haven't used it there myself.)

ZoneInfo.java, perhaps?  See <http://www.bmsi.com/java/#TZ>.