THE END of the first unix gigasecond IS NEAR

Scott Harrington scott.harrington at forexster.com
Wed Aug 29 06:29:38 UTC 2001

Is anyone concerned about the rollover of time_t from 9 digits to 10?
This is happening at 2001-09-09 01:46:40 GMT, which is next Saturday
night, or evening in the US.  Check your code for S1G bugs, such as
ordering timestamps using textual rather than numeric comparisons, or
assuming that time_t columns require no more than 9 characters.

I have set an alarm but I plan to celebrate the dawn of the new gigasecond
quietly.  I once made the mistake of alerting my (non-geek) friends that a
leap second had just occurred ...