Corrections of zone.tab for CN entries

Anthony Fok anthony at thizlinux.com
Fri Dec 14 03:31:10 UTC 2001

Hello Paul,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:48:11PM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Thanks for your careful analyis.  Some comments:
> >
> > the term "Eastern Turkestan" refers to the historic name of the
> > region, as a country, when it was outside China's rule for brief
> > periods in history.
>
> OK, sorry, then I misunderstood the boundaries.  As far as I know,
> though, the region was not controlled by China until after the Manchus
> conquered it in 1759, so it was independent (or anarchic :-) for more
> than just "brief periods".

To be honest, I didn't know the boundaries either until I came across
sites like:

	http://www.unpo.org/member/eturk/eturk.html

on which Eastern Turkestan and Tibet are both shown as individual
countries separate from China, and Eastern Turkestan appears to cover the
entire Xinjiang.  And than I discovered that Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous
Region is the entire Xinjiang, not just part of it.  (I didn't know that.
:-)

The region has been ruled by China in some previous dynasties AFAIK. Might
have been part of China during the Tang Dynasty and Yuan (Mongol) Dynasty.
But yes, I was oversimplifying when I wrote "outside China's rule for brief
periods".  I should go read it up when I have time.  (My excuse is that I
left for Canada to study from Grade 9 until graduating from university, so
my knowledge in Chinese history and geography is lacking.  :-)

> > 	west Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region (Eastern Turkestan), China
>
> Wow, that's quite a mouthful.  How about just "southwest Xinjiang"
> instead?  That's shorter.

Sure, that sounds good.  :-)

> > I have also changed "Macao" to "Macau".  Why?  :-)
> >   1. Macau is the official name (in both English and Portuguese).
> >      See www.macau.gov.mo, for example.
> >   2. On recent trips to Macau, I can no longer find any signs that say
> >      "Macao".
> >   3. ISO 3166 says MO = Macau in English;  MO = Macao in French.
> >   4. On Google,  Macau: 810000 hits;  Macao: 311000 hits.
>
> Sounds good; thanks.

Thanks!  :-)

> > +CN	+3114+12128	Asia/Shanghai	Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong, and most eastern locations in China
> > +CN	+4545+12641	Asia/Harbin	northeast China - Heilongjiang
> > +CN	+2934+10635	Asia/Chongqing	central China - Gansu, Guangdong, Guizhou, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan, etc.
> > +CN	+4348+08735	Asia/Urumqi	Tibet (Xizang) & most of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Regions, China
> > +CN	+3929+07559	Asia/Kashgar	west Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region (Eastern Turkestan), China
>
> Hmm, that can't be right: you've got Guangdong in two different zones.

Oops!  Yes, I meant "Guangxi" (i.e. the "Guang West" instead of Guangdong
for "Guang East".  Mea culpa))

> How about something like this instead?  I'll try to see if I can come
> up with a more complete list of provinces, but I don't want the
> comments field to be so large that 'tzselect' produces confusing
> output.

That's true.  :-)

> CN	+3114+12128	Asia/Shanghai	east China - Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, etc.
> CN	+4545+12641	Asia/Harbin	Heilongjiang
> CN	+2934+10635	Asia/Chongqing	central China - Gansu, Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan, etc.

If you prefer, you could put Guangxi back in there, if not too long.  :-)

> CN	+4348+08735	Asia/Urumqi	Tibet & most of Xinjiang
> CN	+3929+07559	Asia/Kashgar	southwest Xinjiang

Thank you very much for your help!  :-)

Best regards,

Anthony

--