TZ database content

Srinivas Nagaraj srinivas at broadsoft.com
Fri Feb 9 17:02:36 UTC 2001

The TZ (zoneinfo) database comes installed with several operating
systems like Linux, Solaris, etc.

I have noticed the content of the TZ database varies between different
versions of the same operating system and also between operating
systems.  This could have been because of when a snapshot of the
TZ database was taken.

Ofcourse, one significant difference is the actual name of the time zone.
Depending on the content of the TZ database, the time zone name look
different.  Is it because the TZ database has evolved?

I also noticed that the zone.tab file is not distributed on a number of
installations.  Was that operating system installation decision?

Now my main question, is it an appropriate application specific common
practice to use an application specific TZ database?  That way the
time zone names can be consistent, irrespective of where the application
is installed?

Thank you.

Srini