TZ database content

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Feb 9 20:55:01 UTC 2001

"John A. Halloran" wrote:

>     TimeZones(43) = "Australian Eastern Daylight Time - AEDT (-11:00)"
>     TimeZones(44) = "Australian Eastern Standard Time - AEST (-10:00)"

Although these (and the other Australian names given) seem to be
correct, every Unix TZ setup I've ever seen uses EDT and EST for
those zones, leading to utter stupidity from stuff like mail
software that tries to sort by date -- those zone names are, for
obvious reasons, interpreted as the US 04:00 and 05:00 zones.

What do we have to do to get the correct names used?