TZ database content

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Feb 9 22:37:06 UTC 2001

> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 06:55:01 +1000
> From: Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net>
>
> "John A. Halloran" wrote:
>
> >     TimeZones(43) = "Australian Eastern Daylight Time - AEDT (-11:00)"
> >     TimeZones(44) = "Australian Eastern Standard Time - AEST (-10:00)"
>
> Although these (and the other Australian names given) seem to be
> correct,

Actually, as far as I know, Australian legislation does not specify
either names or abbreviations for the zones, and various Australians
seem to do as they please.

John Mackin reported in 1991 that Australian Broadcasting Commission
announcers use the phrases `Eastern Standard Time' or `Eastern Summer
Time', and that announcers on the overseas service Radio Australia
prefix the word `Australian' to these phrases.

Some of the other names in that database are questionable, but I'm
afraid I don't have time right now to review it carefully.

> every Unix TZ setup I've ever seen uses EDT and EST for those zones,

Recent tz databases use 'EST' for both zones; this follows the
phraseology reported for ABC.