etcetera patch

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Feb 14 17:17:36 UTC 2001

> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:03:54 +1100
> From: Alex LIVINGSTON <alex at agsm.edu.au>

> ># We use POSIX-style signedness in the names and output,
> ># internal-style signedness in the specifications.
>
> What is "internal-style signedness"? Would your "average" tz user know? How?

It's zic style.  I'll change "internal" to "zic-input".

> ># ...  With the Draft 5 notation, people who
> ># prefer the traditional time zone sign can use TZ='<GMT-4>+4'.
>
> What is "the traditional time zone sign"?

The sign where positive numbers are east of Greenwich.  I'll change
the wording here too.

> What about UTC as opposed to GMT?

The existing zone names all use "GMT" so I think it's better to use
GMT in the examples.

> Might you also say "people who prefer ISO-8601 compliant time-zone
> signs can use TZ='<UTC-04:00>+4' instead"?

That doesn't conform to either ISO 8601 or to d5.  ISO 8601 does not
allow the 'UTC'; d5 does not allow the ':'.  However, TZ='<-0400>+4'
would conform to both, I think; I'll add that example too.

Thanks for your comments.