various time related problems

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at primality.com
Mon Jul 9 19:37:12 UTC 2001

Hello,
	I hope that those on this list can help me with a problem I've been trying
to solve for the last week or so. I found a link to this list in a newsgroup
post. I don't know if anyone here deals with programming or if this is simply
to do with date/time standards or what. If I am in the wrong news group just
let me know.

The Problem:
	In a project I'm taking part in we're building a custom date/time class for
inclusion in a library. Everything works except a few things we'd like to
implement. The date class will be used mainly for conversions and such and to
timestamp certificates for encryption purposes. We're using the standard
C/C++ library functions for most everything. What I'd like to be able to do
is give this class a date as a string (similar to an email date) and have it
convert to a tm struct. The only problem is that I need to take into account
what timezone the date is in. For instance if I receive an email from someone
in Japan (I am in Calgary, Canada). The date/time would look like this in the
headers. Thu, 05 Jul 2001 HH:MM:SS JST. Is there anyway I can get a list of 3
letter abreviations so to get the JST and convert to an UTC offset? This way
I can convert between times and such. The regular c/c++ functions do not
support this coming from a string. Only outputting the timezone info from a
tm struct to a string.

Any help / ideas with this would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Nathanael Noblet
Primality Inc.
208 - 908 17th Ave SW