Proposal: API for thread-safe time zone functions

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Jun 8 07:02:19 UTC 2001

Jonathan Lennox said:
> One of the major shortcomings of the current time zone API defined by ISO C
[...]
> Therefore, I've written up a proposal (attached) for a thread-safe API for
> time zone functions.

Please don't.

There are a number of known deficiencies with the C time stuff, and it
really needs redesigning from scratch with a solid set of concepts behind
it. For various reasons I'm supposed to be organising a group to do that,
but it's way way down my list of priorities.

Any new design will, of course, need to address these issues, but I don't
think there's any point in doing this sort of ad hoc work to solve just one
item.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037