Russian cities

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Sun Jun 10 00:55:04 UTC 2001

Hi, tz gurus.

I am trying to figure out what time it is in the following
russian cities:
Balakovo, Engels, Saratov, Kamyshin, Volgograd, Volzhsky and
Astrakhan.

In "Sources for Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data" page
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm
there are several maps mentioned which I examined.

The CIA map (low802700.pdf) has these cities as being GMT+5.
It even has the area sorounding Samara so small that I wonder
if Ulyanovsk and Syzran are on GMT+4 or they are really
on GMT+5.

Manifolds net GPL-licenced map, seems to indicate one single
time zone which both includes Samara and the above cities,
suggesting that they should all be on GMT+4.

I checked also the "World Timezones Map with current times" which
is said to cover Russia particularly well
(http://worldtimezone.com) and was made by a russian. This
map has the most of these cities on GMT+3 which is what I have
been sticking to until now.

Recently Gwillim Law mentioned the page
http://www.hammondmap.com/timezone/maintz.html which has
a map where all these cities seem to be on GMT+4.

Is there anybody on the tz mailing list
that has more authoritative information? The question is
if these cities are on GMT+3 (as I now have it), on GMT+4
or on GMT+5. The additional question is what time Ulyanovsk
and Syzran are on.

Of course, if you have my program World Time Explorer installed,
you can check out on it's map the area I am talking about.

Regards,

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Programador/Analista
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (5) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (5) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
CIMMYT home page:
http://cimmyt.cgiar.org
Check out my free program World Time Explorer:
http://www20.Brinkster.com/timezone50/index.htm
http://members.theglobe.com/timezone50/index.htm