FW: Updated Australian time zone names/strings

David J N Begley d.begley at uws.edu.au
Sat Mar 24 15:20:25 UTC 2001

Earlier today, Robert Elz wrote:

> This would be nice, except that EST/EST is correct.

By what definition?  There is plenty of evidence to indicate that AEST/AEDT is
in common use and even the quoted (not by me) message from the National
Standards Commission suggests that AEST/AEDT is not only valid, but correct.

> It uses daulight savings only in a few headings, etc - the actual content
> of the act (had you bothered to quote that) uses and defines "New South Wales
> Summer Time".

"Bothered"?  The references to various sections of the Act plus a URL pointing
to the Act in its entirety didn't make the original message long enough?

If one was to be as literal as you and John would prefer, then the time zone
abbreviations would probably be "NSWST/NSWST" for both standard time and
summer time (see part 1, section 2 of the Act);  the fact that *nobody* uses
those abbreviations in practice has to call into question the whole
justification for using "EST/EST".

Just to be clear, here is the relevant part of the definitions in the Act:

  "In this Act:
 [...]
  New South Wales standard time means standard time as fixed by section 3.
  New South Wales summer time means summer time as fixed by section 7."

No mention at all of "eastern" anything.

> The Victorian Act (when I looked this up way back when this issue was
> first relevant) defines Eastern Summer Time (I think the Vic parliament
> felt it had a mandate to legislate for all of Eastern Australia...  or
> perhaps hoped that it would at least be uniform.)

How does this relate to the abbreviations used for "Australia/Sydney" in the
time zone database?  ;-)

> I haven't checked it recently and don't have a URL for the Vic act, but I
> expect it is still pretty similar.

I am only guessing that this is still correct given that it also shows up on a
search of the Victorian Government's Web sites:

  "Summer Time Act 1972"
  http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol%5fact/sta1972147/

Herein the definitions are of "standard time" and "summer time", not "eastern"
anything;  again, if taken literally then the abbreviations for Victoria would
be simply "ST/ST".

Honestly, Robert, the legislation is not all that useful in determining time
zone names or abbreviations (for the purposes of the tz database anyway) - all
the laws do is give authority to the fact that those States will observe
daylight savings time during summer, that's all.

In my own defence at quoting from the NSW Act, I was arguing against the (only
perceived?) suggestion that the term "daylight saving" is never used in
Australia, that's all.

Even a search for "Eastern Standard Time" on the Victorian Government's Web
site (www.vic.gov.au) turns up references to "AEST" and "Australian Eastern
Standard Time" (and yes, other variations for standard and summer time too).

Heck, searching AustLII's and SCALEplus' databases (and no, I'm not going to
bother quoting anything this time) shows appearances in legal proceedings of
the following phrases/abbreviations in relation to time:

- "AEST" in the Federal Court of Australia and the Migration Review
  Tribunal of Australia;

- "AEDT" in the Supreme Court of New South Wales;

- "Australian Eastern Standard Time" in the Federal Court of Australia
  and the Supreme Court of Victoria;  and,

- "Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time" in the Commonwealth Administrative
  Appeals Tribunal and the Federal Court of Australia{*}.

{*} Interestingly, here both the full name and a different abbreviation are
    given;  the case is BHP Steel (AIS) Pty Ltd v Construction, Forestry,
    Mining & Energy Union [2000] FCA 1853 (15 December 2000), where Justice