Updated Australian time zone names/strings

Olson, Arthur David (NCI) olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Thu May 3 14:03:51 UTC 2001

> > OK, how about this idea?  If TZ='Australia/Sydney:' then use numeric
> > abbreviations.  The basic idea is to append a suffix that cannot
> > possibly be part of a portable POSIX file name.

> I guess we could, though I'm not overly enamoured with the "cannot
possibly
> be part of a portable POSIX file name" part.   We should certainly not be
> presuming that any such names can be used, and should not be naming zones
in
> non-portable ways, but if someone decides to name a timezone file
> /path/to/EST:EDT (and it happens to work on his system) I'd prefer not to
> break things.

> Of course, it can be documented that ':' is magic in TZ file names (or
> what would otherwise be a TZ file name) but it does seem a bit ugly.

Another possibility would be a separate environment variable that, if
defined, would request numeric abbreviations. This has the advantage (and
disadvantage) of providing for some system-level control: putting
	TZNUMERIC=1
(or whatever) in the system-wide startup file would buy numeric
abbreviations no matter what TZ value a particular user set up (unless, of
course, the user undid the TZNUMERIC).

				--ado