Mongolia time zones

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Mon May 14 14:42:10 UTC 2001

I haven't seen any references to the new Mongolia daylight saving, are there
any on the web? It seems that there are also no references in your mail. Since
so many sources differ about Mongolia, I would advice a careful approach
to these changes, to avoid having to do them over and over again (well,
I admit that this how we always manage time zone changes from Israel,
but here there is no indication that the Mongol government is changing it's
mind all the time, as they do in Tel Aviv).

Actually I checked out mongolian time zones just a few weeks ago, but
could not find other sources than
<http://www.mongoliatourism.gov.mn/general.htm> which I believe we received
from Oscar van Vlijmen in Holland. It is true that it doesn't work anymore, but that
is simply because the page general.htm is not available anymore. If you use
http://www.mongoliatourism.gov.mn/toc.htm , you will get into a general
page, which further down has a paragraph "Time Differences"
It seems that these pages were recently changed concerning visa rules, but
I don't know if the timezone
information is up-to-date. They report two time zones, the eastern consisting
of provinces Khovd, Bayan Ulgii and Uvs, on GMT+7, and the rest on GMT+8.
They specifically claim that Mongolia no longer "puts forward its clocks by
1 hour in the summer months".

I would doubt a lot that the Choibalsan zone on GMT+9 has existed since
1983 as Shanks claims, but we lack authoritative information, since all the
authorities seem to disagree. However, the above page I still consider as the
only authoritative web page I have seen yet, e.g. published by the mongolian
government.

I found a map of Mongolia from these pages which showed each province
with borders to the other provinces, also population counters, however I did
not write the URLs down, and I couldn't find them again today. I am
pretty sure that the provinces Govi-Altai and Zavkhan were to the east of
the Khovd, Bayan Ulgii and Uvs provinces on these maps (not to the west).

> (Maybe they redrew the provincial lines lately?  It's such a
> pain to deal with a nation that is still nearly half nomadic.  :-)

I can only agree more! We will have to wait for the nomadic computers ... :-)
E.g. those that are powered by Sun light or maybe saddle pressure power :-)

Regards,