reading time zone information

qmk qmk at mac.com
Sat Oct 20 13:41:39 UTC 2001

Hi There

I need to obtain the current time zone information (including DST
start/end dates) for about 6 cities, so I downloaded your comprehensive
database.  However, I'm having difficulty understanding the format.

I was wondering if the database comes in a simple text file format that
can be easily understood.  For example, a list of city names, and for
each city, the following information (only the current information, I
don't need historical information):

* UTC difference (for example, plus 10 hours)
* DST difference (plus 1 hour)
* DST starting day (for example, second Sunday in January at 2am)
* DST ending day (in standard local time)

That would be really helpful.

Alternatively, if it's not too much trouble, could I give you the city
names and you could tell me the above info for each city?  I tried to
read the text files myself but I can't understand it.  Even if I get what
I think is the correct DST start/end dates, I have no idea whether I've
read it correctly because the format is too complicated.

Thanks.