Tonga Daylight Savings Time ENDS...

Pulu 'Anau pulu at infotech.afe.to
Tue Nov 5 21:43:00 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm a system administrator in a country that thinks it's funny to
constantly play around with the time.  To keep the story short, Tonga
decided to create daylight savings time to get a jump on everyone for the
new millenium.  The law was for 3 years, supposedly to get renewed.  It
wasn't.  Unfortunately, a good number of the systems I maintain (Debian
Linux and OpenBSD) would like to believe the government here is reasonable
and doesn't play around with stuff like this.  Ha!
Anyway, when they implemented daylight savings it took me a few hours to
find the zone files and recompile them, and I don't think the changes were
officially reflected (at least in Debian) for about a year.  I don't
really know where else to report this, but considering the vast amount of
history that's already available in the data files, I hope this mailing
list will work.
I've modified the australasia file from the data file as below.  I'm not a
zic expert so I hope it's appropriate.  It fixed the issue here, anyway.
Also, in the compiled file that was pre-existing on this system (Debian
3.0), the file for Tongatapu had a bunch of junk in it, basically a help
file for vi and some other binary data after the zoneinfo...  I don't know
if it's a debian thing or not, I'm not near the openbsd machines to take a
look at them... Just FYI...
If this file is going to explode on me at some later date, I'd really
appreciate if someone could write back and let me know.  Some of my
customers rely on this information to do some dialup internet/mail stuff,
and explaining they ought to complain to the government doesn't work
because most of them are the government.
Pulu

as a diff from the file australasia in the tzdata2002d.tar.gz (Oct 15):

402,403c402,404
< Rule  Tonga   2000    max     -       Nov     Sun>=1  2:00    1:00    S
< Rule  Tonga   2001    max     -       Jan     lastSun 2:00    0       -
---> Rule  Tonga   2000    2001    -       Nov     Sun>=1  2:00    1:00
> Rule  Tonga   2001    2002    -       Jan     lastSun 2:00    0       ->
408c409,410
<                       13:00   Tonga   TO%sT
---
>                       13:00   Tonga   TO%sT   2003
>                       13:00   -       TOT     # Daylight savings
>                       expirament fails
The appropriate section before:

# Tonga
# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE
LETTER/ SRule    Tonga   1999    only    -       Oct      7      2:00s
1:00    S
Rule    Tonga   2000    only    -       Mar     19      2:00s   0       -
Rule    Tonga   2000    max     -       Nov     Sun>=1  2:00    1:00    S
Rule    Tonga   2001    max     -       Jan     lastSun 2:00    0       -
# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]Zone
Pacific/Tongatapu  12:19:20 -      LMT     1901
                        12:20   -       TOT     1941 # Tonga Time
                        13:00   -       TOT     1999
                        13:00   Tonga   TO%sT

And after:
# Tonga
# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE
LETTER/ SRule    Tonga   1999    only    -       Oct      7      2:00s
1:00    S
Rule    Tonga   2000    only    -       Mar     19      2:00s   0       -
Rule    Tonga   2000    2001    -       Nov     Sun>=1  2:00    1:00    S
Rule    Tonga   2001    2002    -       Jan     lastSun 2:00    0       -
# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone Pacific/Tongatapu  12:19:20 -      LMT     1901
                        12:20   -       TOT     1941 # Tonga Time
                        13:00   -       TOT     1999
                        13:00   Tonga   TO%sT   2003
                        13:00   -       TOT     # Daylight savings
                        expirament fails

----
Pulu 'Anau
Infotech Tonga