East Timor - Leste?

David Keegel djk at cybersource.com.au
Sun Mar 9 07:49:26 UTC 2003

] I have noticed that some sources insist that there was a name change
] of East Timor to (the more portuguese correct) Timor Leste or Timor-Leste.
] Even official sources are not consistant in the naming, but I have noted that
] two important sources
]
] http://www.imf.org/external/country/index.htm
]
] and
]
] http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm
] http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49chang.htm
]
] are consistently using Timor-Leste. I presume that this is also where the
] recent East Timor (or Timor-Leste) abbreviations TLS (ISO 3-letter country code)
] and TL (ISO 2-letter country code) are derived from. Should we make a name
] change?

Australians are still calling it "East Timor".

So I wouldn't change the English name of the country in iso3166.tab.
But I would change "TP" (which used to stand for "Timor Portuguese")
to "TL".  Since the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency has published this
change to "TL", this change could be done whenever it is convenient
(hopefully in the next release of tzdata).