zic.8 in html

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Thu Oct 9 19:37:46 UTC 2003

The "TZ" distibution is targeted towards POSIX-compliant hosts, including
BSD, HP, Linux, Network Appliance, SCO, SGI, and Sun.

Some non-Unix and even non-C developers would like to use the timezone data,
but they cannot find nor read the documentation.

The main documentation can be found in the file "Theory" in the tzcode
folder. This is an unformatted text-only file.
The file "zic.8" in the tzcode folder documents the format used in the tz
database files.

But, not everyone can read or convert groff/troff formatted files like
"zic.8". I know, it's hard to believe, but it's a recurring problem.

Therefore and once again, I converted the latest version of the zic.8 file
to html. Please find it attached to this email.
This point was discussed earlier on April 19 & 20, 2000 and April 7, 2002.

The TZ files can still be found at:
<ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/>
Download the files:
tzcode2003d.tar.gz or newer, and