zic.8 in html

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 12 18:55:38 UTC 2003

Paul Eggert <eggert at twinsun.com> writes:

> Ideally the automated procedure, whatever it is, would generate XHTML
> 1.1, which is the latest version of HTML.  (Hmm, I see that tz-link.htm
> and tz-art.htm specify XHTML 1.0; time to upgrade.)

I would be a bit careful about moving to XHTML 1.1 without analyzing all
of the issues.  XHTML 1.1 is not really the same thing as HTML; for
example, it's not supposed to be served out as text/html.  Many browsers
don't really support XHTML 1.1 yet.

XHTML 1.0 or HTML 4.01 Strict are still the best choices for portable
HTML.  Future versions of XHTML are not intended to be backward compatible
upgrades to HTML, but instead are moving the standard intentionally in a
completely different direction towards a purer XML-based markup world that
not all browsers are prepared for.