Time zone boundaries for multizone countries

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Sun Oct 19 08:44:22 UTC 2003

> From: "Clive D.W. Feather"
>> but on this world there are at least 6 million
>> locations with a name - 2 million in the US <http://geonames.usgs.gov/>, 4
>> million in the rest of the world <http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/index.html>
> I suspect there are far more than 4 million named places in the rest of the
> world.
GEOnet is the only free source I know of with this many 'official' names of
'features' as they call it, including cities, lakes, rivers etc. There is
even a file with undersea features! Wonder what their time zones are....

> From: Chuck Soper <chucks at lmi.net>
> region. I discovered one small country, Svalbard and Jan Mayer (SJ),
> that has two time zone regions.
There are more, e.g. Portugal - Azores, but it's not difficult to find out
which time zone one has to use.
By the way, the TZ europe file says:
# Although I could not find it explicitly, it seems that Jan Mayen and
# Svalbard have been using the same time as Norway at least since the
# time they were declared as parts of Norway.
Is there any proof of "two time zone regions"?

Oscar van Vlijmen
2003-10-19