TZ changes for Brazil for 2003/2004

Vitor de Matos Carvalho vitor at softinfo.com.br
Sat Sep 20 11:22:00 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires" <p at ppires.org>
To: "Paul Eggert" <eggert at twinsun.com>
Cc: <tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov>; "Vitor de Matos Carvalho" <vitor at softinfo.com.br>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 2:38 AM
Subject: Re: TZ changes for Brazil for 2003/2004

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:52:50PM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > At 18 Sep 2003 15:36:28 -0300, Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires writes:
> >
> > > Attached are my diffs to tzdata2003c for the just-released rules for
> > > Brazilian summer time 2003/2004.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting this.
> >
> > > Since this year two states that traditionally obeyed summer time are
> > > no longer doing so, I had to create two new cities, namely Salvador
> > > and Campo Grande, for the states of Bahia (BA) and Mato Grosso do
> > > Sul (MS).
> >
> > Unfortunately "America/Salvador" is a fairly ambiguous name, since
> > there are many cities called "Salvador" in the Americas.  I am
> > thinking that perhaps we should call that entry "America/Bahia"
> > instead.  Normally we don't give state names to locations, but this
> > might be time to make an exception.  We already made an exception for
> > the city of San Salvador, in Central America, for the same reason; its
> > entry is called "America/El_Salvador".
>
> I thought about the confusion "Salvador" could cause, but since other
> cities/countries had "San_"/"El_" prefixes, I thought it'd been OK.
> "Bahia" is likely to be a good choice.  I had thought of other cities,
> like Porto Seguro (which has historical meaning: it was the very first
> european stop in South America; now it is a very popular touristic and
> resort city) or the city of Ilhéus, another of Bahia's largest cities.

I understand the possible problem that can occur placing plus a city in America with the name of Salvador.
The suggestion that Paulo gave, placing the name of one another city of  Bahia (I live in Bahia, Salvador).

 I found valid here, at least for this summer time of 2003/2004 I suggest another suggestion...
The state of the Bahia is part of the NE, the state of Bahia was the only one been of the NE (BA, SE, AL, PE, PI, CE, RN, PI, MA, PR are not part of the NE and its corresponds to the state of the Paraná) to have summer time.
As this year moved, I saw that in the archive zone.tab exists America/Fortaleza, America/Recife, America/Maceio, I I suggest to make one alone something as America/Bahia Ilhéus NE Brazil (BA, SE, AL, PE, PI, CE, RN, PI, MA), instead of having some entrances for some states of the NE of the Brazil, would only join everything in one, in view of that no state of the NE will have hourly of summer.

Aother suggestion It would be to change America/Belem, America/Araguaina, America/Porto_Velho, America/Boa_Vista, America/Manaus, America/Rio_Branco for America/Manaus that  sates of the N (AM, AC, RO, RR, Pará, AP, You) America/Sao_Paulo would keep, however only including the states of  SE (MG, ES, RJ, SP), would create the America/Parana that would be equivalent to the S (PR, SC, RS) and would create the corresponding America/Cuiabá the region center west since this state this year will not have summer time, also creating the America/Brasilia that also corresponds to the center west (DF, GO, MS) that it will have summer timer this year.

Thus the states of the Brazil would be organized for region, therefore this year only region S and SE, and only 2 states and more the DF will have summer time.
I do not know if it is technical viable to make these changes, however it is my suggestion

> > > # Another change for 2003/2004 (not in http://pcdsh01.on.br/ yet -- ON has
> > > # been lagging behind lastest decrees; this information was found in
> > > # http://oglobo.globo.com/online/pais/110274614.asp).
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't view that page; it asks for subscriber information.
>
> Not really.  You can just type any e-mail (even non-existant) and pass-
> word.
>
> > Do you have a presidential decree number?  I'd like to refer to the
> > official decree.
>
> I checked presidential web site all day and saw nothing, but Vitor was
> successful in finding relevant information in the Ministry for Ores
> and Energy's web site.
>
> > The previous daylight-saving decree wias 4,399, and we're referring to
> > <http://www.presidencia.gov.br/CCIVIL/decreto/2002/D4399.htm> rather
> > than to <http://pcdsh01.on.br/figuras/HV4399.gif> because HTML is
> > better than GIF for this sort of thing.  If you can give me a decree
> > number, perhaps I can deduce the URL at www.presidencia.gov.br.
> >
> > > Rule Brazil 2003 max - Oct Sun>=14 0:00 1:00 S
> > > Rule Brazil 2004 max - Feb Sun>=14 0:00 0 -
> >
> > "Sun>=14" is unusual.  Normally it would be "Sun>=15" (the 3rd Sunday
> > of the month).  There's no difference between "Sun>=14" and "Sun>=15"
> > for October 2003 and February 2004, so I assume it's OK to change
> > these occurrences to "Sun>=15".
>
> I believe you're right.  But... who can say anything is right about
> Brazilian rules at all? :)  (I live in Rio, and I can testify the
> chaos caused when our mayor (who is in the office again now) wanted
> to extend summer time only here (and he already said he wants to do
> this again this time).)
>
> > Thank you again for providing the updated information.
>
> Let's see if I do it right next year (when rules will probably change
> again...).

Yes, It can have certainty that the rules can again change next year.

> Best regards,
> --
> Pappires
>
> ... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.

 Regards,