asctime.c

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 27 20:14:04 UTC 2004

    Date:        Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:13:14 -0700
    From:        Paul Eggert <eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU>

  | I'd prefer to conform to the current standard when it disagrees with
  | tradition, particularly when these are cases that don't really matter
  | for practical programs (only standards nerds like us will care about
  | them :-).

If the standard actually says what you say (I don't have anything to
do with it) then the standard is broken, and someone should file a
defect report.

This one isn't just of academic interest, there's lots of code that
does stuff like

	printf("The date is: %.24s today\n", asctime(tm));

and expects that there cannot be a newline between the date and the
word "today".

This is not something to break, failing to adhere to the standard in
a minor way is a trivial price to pay for this compatibility.

This one is important.

kre