Time Zone Localizations

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri Jun 11 01:40:46 UTC 2004

Thanks for your feedback.

> Bouvet Island - an uninhabited volcanic island, almost entirely
> Etc/GMT{[+-]N} are just for fixed GMT offsets; they don't correspond to
> countries.

Yes, we realize that Bouvet Island and Heard Island and McDonald Islands are
completely obscure places; it is more for a matter of API/testing completeness.
Understood that Etc/GMT... don't correspond to countries. But in an API and for
translation, it is useful to have everything attached to a country, even if it
is a pseudo-country. That's why the suggestion in the document is to use ZZ for
them, which is a private-use ISO country code, which can be translated as "no
country".

As to Yugoslavia, that is a real mess, because the ISO committee just doesn't
care about stability of identifiers. You can have a database set up with
someone's country of birth stored as CS. All of a sudden by some whim of ISO,
that data is invalidated. More on that at
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/utc-positions.html#2stability.

> Asia/Riyadh{87,88,89}: Saudi Arabia, SA - those are historical, from
> an era when Saudi Arabia used solar time, and apply only to Riyadh
> (and, if you're really fussy, to a particular location in Riyadh, I
> guess), so they're not appropriate for Saudi Arabia as a whole.  I
> don't know what names you'd give them.
> WET, CET, MET, and EET "are for backward compatibility with older
> versions"; various Europe/XXX rules should presumably be used instead -
> I guess you could pick cities for each of them.

For these, I guess my recommendation would be to not bother translating them at
all -- they are all compatibility orphans, one wouldn't encourage their use.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄