Time Zone Localizations

Infoman mpereira at istar.ca
Fri Jun 11 11:33:17 UTC 2004

IN ISO 3166-1, in the 3-digit numeric codes, the 900+-999 range is available
for private use. Some of these are already "taken", i.e. in widespread use.
I note that banking and financial services (ISO TC68) standardards for
financial transactions do use the 3-digit numeric code because it is the
most stable.

Attached is a a document which may be of interest. Comments welcome on the
proposed default conventions.

With respect to pseudo-countries, one should note that near 25% of the
entities in ISO 3166-1 are not "countries", i.e. UN member nation states. I
will forward some information on this next week. I am involved in a
JTC1/SC32/WG1 eBusiness standard pertaining to "jurisdictional domains".
Here date/time referencing and localization requirements are importnat.

regards - Jake Knoppers