Time Zone Localizations

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri Jun 11 22:01:15 UTC 2004

There are 29 countries that have multiple zones. If you show only modern zones,
you have 99 different zones for those countries; if you show historic zones, you
have 164, a considerable increase. For example, for the US you have the
following, with a ';' between zones that are the same nowadays, and ';' between
ones that are different. It clutters up the UI and adds more translation
requirements if you need to distinguish non-modern zones.

Pacific/Honolulu;
America/Adak;
America/Anchorage,     America/Nome, America/Juneau, America/Yakutat;
America/Los_Angeles;
America/Phoenix;
America/Denver,     America/Boise;
America/Chicago,     America/North_Dakota/Center, America/Menominee;
America/Indianapolis,     America/Indiana/Knox, America/Indiana/Vevay,
America/Indiana/Marengo;
America/New_York,     America/Kentucky/Monticello, America/Detroit,
America/Louisville

Note: we're not saying the modern equivalents must be identified; this is more a
matter of setting priorities for translation.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄