Argentina's timezone blues... aftermath

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jun 14 19:34:41 UTC 2004

"Mariano Absatz" <baby at baby.com.ar> writes:

> Tucumán went back last weekend.

Since Tucuman is splitting from {La Rioja, San Juan, San Luis,
Chubut}, we'll need another tz name for the latter set.  By far the
largest city in that region is San Juan, but "America/San Juan" is too
ambiguous (Argentina? Puerto Rico?) so it appears we'll have to create
an Argentina subdirectory to remove the ambiguity.

I'm considering going with these names:

America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires
America/Argentina/Cordoba
America/Argentina/Tucuman
America/Argentina/San_Juan
America/Argentina/Jujuy
America/Argentina/Catamarca
America/Argentina/Mendoza
America/Argentina/Rio_Gallegos

with links in the 'backward' file for the traditional names like
America/Buenos_Aires.  Comments?

> What's more, Tierra del Fuego is studying also the possibility....
> I'll try to keep you posted :-/

Thanks for letting us know.  If Tierra del Fuego splits from Santa
Cruz, I guess we'll need a separate entry America/Argentina/Ushuaia.