Time Zone Localizations

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 14 20:33:38 UTC 2004

On Jun 13, 2004, at 9:22 PM, Mark Davis wrote:

> I must not be making the situation clear. The internal code is
> invariant across
> locales. But the "display name" for that code will change
> dramatically. That is,
> the TZID will not change. But its representation to local users must;
> because
> they may not know English. For example, "Europe/London" will remain
> constant.

I would not describe that as "localizing the Olson TZIDs"; I'd describe
it as "localizing the names corresponding to the regions for given
Olson TZIDs" or "localizing the names for the types of time (e.g.,
"British Summer Time") for given Olson TZIDs".

I.e., you do not localize the term "Asia/Singapore".  You localize the
term "Singapore Time".