updated proposed tz patch for Argentina, Aaland Islands, etc.

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jun 22 22:02:35 UTC 2004

"Gwillim Law" <RLAW at nc.rr.com> writes:

>> http://www.lanacion.com.ar/04/06/16/de_610634.asp
> shows clearly that San Luis never set its clocks back in the (local) fall of
> 2004.  An earlier article in a different paper,
> http://www.lanacion.com.ar/04/06/16/de_610634.asp, states just as clearly
> that San Luis had decided, as of May 27, to go back one hour on June 1.

Hmm, the two URLs in your email are identical.  However, I'd guess
that the later article is more likely to be correct.  (My Spanish is
weak, but as I understand it the later article's text doesn't mention
San Luis, but the accompanying map indicates that San Luis never changed.)

> Does anyone know what really happened?

Not I.

However, I plan to prepare yet another patch assuming that San Luis
didn't change, unless we get more info.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Since San Juan is splitting from { La Rioja, Chubut } we'll need a new
zone entry to represent the latter region.  www.gazetteer.de says that
the largest city in this region is Comodoro Rivadavia (2004
pop. 164,500), but that name is too long for POSIX's 14-byte limit.
So I'm inclined to choose the nearly-as-large
America/Argentina/La_Rioja (2004 pop. 151,200); that name will be a
bit easier to remember anyway, as it's the same name as its province.

If there's a common abbreviation for "Comodoro Rivadavia" perhaps
that'd be a better choice.  (We may need a zone for Chubut anyway, if
things change again next week.  :-)
<http://www.dropby.com/Genealogia/abreviaturas.html> and
<http://www.protocolo.org/gest_web/proto_Seccion.pl?arefid=617> both
say that "Comod." is a Spanish abbreviation for "Comodoro", but even
Comod_Rivadavia is one byte too long.  I suppose we could go with
America/Argentina/ComodRivadavia in a pinch.